Tthis one for the Southern fat kid inside me! Fried pies with gooey Carolina bourbon infused pecan filling and dusted with cinnamon and sugar is a treat for any Panthers fan (and let’s be honest, really any fan of anything).
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons North Carolina Bourbon (Defiant Single Malt Whiskey)
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup granulated sugar mixed with 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3 premade pie crusts
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Preheat a large dutch oven or fryer to 350 degrees.
- In a medium pot, combine sugar, maple syrup, bourbon, vanilla, eggs and butter. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and aggressively simmer the mix for 10 minutes- take care not to stir. Turn off heat and stir in the pecans and salt.
- Roll out pie crust and cut 3” circles in the dough (you can re-roll the scraps to get more). Spoon 1 tablespoon into the middle of all the rounds. Brush edges with water, then fold over to close. With a flour coated fork, press the edges to seal well (be mindful of this step or your filling will explode out of your pie when frying).
- Fry your pies in batches, taking care not to crowd the pan. When they’re golden, remove and transfer to a paper towel lined baking sheet.
- Brush each pie with melted butter and dust with cinnamon sugar mix and serve warm or room temp.