10 Mar Vegan Stovetop Bacon and Chive White Cheddar Mac n’ Cheese
Vegan Stovetop Bacon and Chive White Cheddar Mac n' Cheese
Mac n' Cheese is one of my favorite comfort foods, and when tasked with creating a recipe that would give Vegans that satisfying heart warming feeling that the traditional cheesy version gives dairy lovers, I didn't take the challenge lightly. The resulting stovetop recipe (think cheese sauce like Kraft, not top and bake like casserole) is sure to make you forget all about your beloved Wacky Mac. This creamy bowl of goodness is best when made with great traditional pasta noodles instead of whole wheat or alternative noodles (my rule, when faking one part of a recipe- i.e. non-dairy cheese sauce- leave the other part traditional, it needs the taste of the original noodle to keep it "real" tasting). I encourage you to take the extra quick step of making your own Cashew Milk since you already have the cashews on hand for the cheese sauce (it's really easy and the flavor is neutral unlike many other cartoned nut milks). Also, the serving size is listed as a double batch since I love it as a hearty dinner party main dish, but you can easily cut it in half for a family meal.
- 1 Cup Raw Unsalted Cashews, Soaked in Water for 30 Minutes
- 1/2 Cups Cashew Milk* Or Your Favorite Non-Flavored Nut Milk
- 1/4 Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Tablespoons Light Colored Miso Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 Large Cloves Fresh Garlic, rough chop
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Sea Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Liquid Smoke
- 2 Cups Cashew Milk* or Your Favorite Non-Flavored Nut Milk
- 1/4 Cup Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Chives
- 1/2 Container of Frontier Bac’Uns
- 1 Box of Your Favorite Dried Pasta, Cooked to Package Instructions and Reserve 1 Cup of Cooking Water
*Cashew Milk Ingredients
- 1/3 Cup Raw Unsalted Cashews, Soaked in Water for 30 Minutes
- 3 Cups Water
- Pinch Salt
Make your cashew cheese
- Blend cashew cheese ingredients in a high powered blender until smooth.
Make your béchamel
- On the stovetop, melt butter until bubbly. Whisk in flour and cook until just starts to turn a faint golden brown, about 2 minutes. Pour in cashew milk and whisk until smooth. Cook until mixture has thickened, about 2 minutes.
Make your cheese sauce
- Stir in cheese from blender into the béchamel and whisk again until smooth.
Putting it all together
- Toss cheese sauce with cooked pasta and ½-1 Cup of the reserved pasta water to desired thickness.
- Stir in “Bacon” Bits and Chives, place a lid on the pot and let steam for about 2 minutes. Stir and serve hot.
cooking for luv http://cookingforluv.com/