26 Oct Vegan Pumpkin Rice Crisp Treats
In honor of the final Meatless Monday before my favorite pumpkin filled holiday, I rolled up these adorable (and very easy to make) little pumpkin shaped rice crisp treats for your Halloween trick or treating pleasure! Unlike traditional Rice Krispy treats, these cuties are completely vegan and a bit healthier by using brown rice cereal + brown rice syrup (instead of gelatin/chemical filled marshmallows). And if you’re feeling super crafty, you can even take them a step further and decorate them with icing to create a “carved” pumpkin look! Happy Halloween all, and stay spooky!
- 3 cups Barbara’s brown rice crisp cereal
- ½ cup brown rice syrup
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ teaspoon orange food coloring
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 vegan chocolate bar broken into rectangles
- In a large mixing bowl, combine room temperature peanut butter, brown rice syrup, and food coloring and whisk until combined.
- Add brown rice cereal and stir with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to combine.
- Using your hands (or saran wrap), scoop ¼ cup of the mix at a time and press (VERY!) firmly to make a pumpkin shaped ball. Place on a parchment-lined tray.
- Using a knife or piece of twine, press in vertical lines around the pumpkin.
- Place your finger in the top of the pumpkin to create an indent. Press in your chocolate rectangle (if the bar rectangles are larger in size, you may have to trim down before inserting so you don’t have an abnormally large pumpkin stem.)
- Depending on the consistency of your peanut butter brand, you may have to refrigerate up to a half hour to set. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- If you use a natural peanut butter (or almond/sunflower/cashew butter all work too) make sure that the oil is completely incorporated/blended in before using. Results will vary depending on the butters consistency, so if you find them not sticking together you may need to play around with the proportions of brown rice syrup and nut butter.