19 Jan Jackfruit “Carnitas” Tostadas
Vegan Jackfruit "Carnitas" Tostadas
- 2 Cans Green, Young Jackfruit in Water or Brine, Drained.
- 2 Tablespoons Ancho Chili Powder
- 1/2-1 Teaspoon Ground Chile De Arbol or Cayenne Pepper (depending on desired spice)
- 1 Tablespoon Liquid Smoke
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Peeled and Crushed with Back of Knife
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 ¾ Cups Orange Juice
- 1/4 Cup Lime Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable or Grapeseed Oil
- 1 Can of Canola Oil Spray
- 4 Mashed Avocados mixed with a couple pinches of salt and 1 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- Very Thinly Sliced Red Onions (on a mandolin's lowest setting if possible
- Shredded Iceberg Lettuce (optional)
- Crumbled Cojita Cheese (optional)
- 8 corn tortillas + a bottle of vegetable oil for frying OR Store bought tostada shells (both are delicious, the latter is much easier of course)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove the seeds from the jackfruit. Gently shred with your hands and rinse. Pat dry with a kitchen towel or paper towel.
- Toss jackfruit with chili powders, liquid smoke, salt and cumin and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add jackfruit, and cook for about 1 minute until spices start to stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Pour in orange and lime juice, stir to combine, scraping the spices off the pan. Add Bay Leaf and Garlic Cloves. Cook until liquid has reduced. Transfer the mix to a parchment lined baking sheet, spreading it out as much as possible. Spray with cooking spray.
- Cook for about 25-35 minutes (stirring up about halfway through )until you start to see some char on some pieces and it has dried out a lot in texture.
- Making your own: fry corn tortillas in 350 degree oil until crispy. Drain on paper towels and salt.
- If using store bought: heat tostada shells in oven according to package instructions.
Putting it All Together
- Spread tortilla with avocado mash, top with carnitas, garnish with onions and crumbled Cojita cheese and shredded lettuce (optional). Serve hot.
cooking for luv http://cookingforluv.com/