27 Aug Superfood Chocolate Protein Granola Bars
Superfood Chocolate Protein Granola Bars
For the past few months I have been experimenting with various foods, bars, shakes, and supplements to maintain energy and increase endurance during my 8 hour beach volleyball days. I’ve had spotty luck, that is until this weekend when I played in the 2nd Annual Ocean Park Ladies Open (LingerACE! 2013), a beach volleyball tournament benefiting the Boys and Girls Club and our local courts. As a sponsor, I set out to make a bad-ass Protein Bar to keep all the incredibly beautiful and talented lingerie-clad athletes full of energy throughout the day. These no-cook bars are not only easy and really delicious but packed with tons of superfood energy. In fact, they have so much energizing goodness that while packaging (and of course eating the extras) late the night before the tournament, I ended up wide awake and bouncing off the walls until 4am! The Shakeology powder has green tea, maca and more, so eat these during the daylight and not as an after dinner dessert (no matter how tempting it may be). Go forth and be active!XoStephanie
- ¼ Cup Chocolate Chips
- ¼ Cup Chopped Roasted Almonds
- ½ Cup Shredded Unsweetened Coconut
- ¼ Cup + 2 Tablespoons Shakeology Chocolate Superfood Protein Powder (Your bars will only taste as good as your powder, so make sure to use a delicious one. Shakeology tastes SO good and is SO good for you- thank you for the sample, Beachbody!)
- 1 Cup Toasted Oats
- 1 Cup Brown Rice Cereal
- ¼ Cup Honey
- ¼ Cup Brown Rice Syrup
- ½ Cup Creamy Room Temperature Peanut or Sunflower Seed Butter (make sure it is very creamy and drippy)
- 1 Tablespoon Hemp Seeds
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add honey, brown rice syrup, and nut butter. Mix really well (I use my hands to make sure every bit of dry ingredient is coated- or else your bars will fall apart or have loose pieces). Transfer into a 9×5 inch loaf pan (I use a silicone one so it’s easy to get the bars out), press really firmly to make a molded large bar. Sprinkle with hemp seeds and press into the top. Freeze for about 15 minutes. Invert pan and cut into 6 bars and store in an air-tight container the fridge or freezer.
- Veganize this recipe by omitting the chocolate chips (or using vegan chocolate chips) and use double the brown rice syrup instead of the honey. Beachbody is coming out with a Vegan version of Shakeology soon, so stay tuned! In the meantime replace with your favorite vegan protein powder.
cooking for luv http://cookingforluv.com/