07 Apr Spicy Taqueria Pickled Carrots
Posted at 19:29h in Raw, Recipes, Sides, Snacks, Starters, Vegan Recipes, Vegetarian Recipes 0 Comments
Spicy Taqueria Pickled Carrots
My favorite condiment on a taqueria's table, these spicy pickled carrots are a quick and ridiculously easy way to add a little heat to your next Taco Tuesday! They are "refrigerator pickles", which means they live in the fridge not the pantry so they don't require any fancy canning procedures.
- 2 Large Carrots, Peeled and Sliced on the Bias (about a 45 degree angle)
- 1/3 Cup White Vinegar
- 1/3 Cup Water
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Whole Peppercorns
- 1/2 Teaspoon Whole Cumin Seeds
- 1 1/4 inch thick round of Onion (any kind will do), sliced into 1/2 inch sections
- 1 Jalapeno, Sliced on the Bias
- 2 Garlic Cloves, peeled and gently smashed (keep whole)
- Place your sliced carrots, jalapenos, garlic, peppercorns, onion, and cumin seeds in a pint sized mason jar or similar lidded jar.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, warm sugar, salt, vinegar, and water just until sugar has dissolved (take care not to boil the liquid). Alternatively, you can heat the brine in your microwave for 1.5 minutes.
- Pour brine into jar to just cover vegetables (you may have a bit leftover)
- Refrigerate for at least 12 hours, keep in fridge for up to 1 month (not that they'll last that long!)
cooking for luv http://cookingforluv.com/