21 Sep Smoky Chilled Tomato Soup
It’s ridiculously mind-numbingly hot here in Los Angeles and so I give you a ridiculously mind-numbingly easy recipe that requires no heat and no more than 5 minutes of your time! Tomato season is coming to a close (*sob*) and I’m using them in everything I can while they’re still here and still incredible. This soup is a kind-of-gazpacho/tortilla soup/salmorejo type deal, and it’s success hinges on the quality of your tomatoes so be sure to get the most fragrant and juicy ones you can find (the cheaper “softies” at the farmers market are perfect for this since their imperfections and almost-over-ripeness will be obliterated by the blender anyway). Use a high-quality Spanish smoked paprika as well for optimal flavor explosion, the bargain bin spice will get lost in translation.
- 6 cups chopped ripe and fragrant red tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 2 medium garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup Spanish olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked Spanish paprika (if you're using something less pungent, you may have to increase this amount)
- 1/2 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher sea salt
- Throw all your ingredients in a high power blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to fridge to cool for at least 30 minutes. Done (really)!