05 Aug Herbs de Provence Spelt Berry Burgers (Vegan, Vegetarian)
Herbs de Provence Spelt Berry Burgers with Grilled Eggplant, Eggplant Puree + Caramelized Onions
1 hr 20 min
1 hr 20 min
- 2 Cups Cooked Spelt Berries (according to package instructions)
- 4 Cloves Garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 Roasted Beet, chopped
- 1 Bunch Blanched Dino Kale
- 1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Kosher Salt
- 1/8 Cup Raw Almonds
- 1 Tbsp Herbs de Provence
- 1 Can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Shredded Red Cabbage, tossed with 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Caramelized Onions
- Grilled Eggplant Slices
- Eggplant Purée
- Whole wheat bread, lightly toasted and cut into rounds
Grilled Eggplant & Puree
- Slice 4 Artistan Variety Small Farmers Market Eggplants or 1 Large Italian eggplant into ¼ Inch Slices. Salt both sides and let sit for about 10 minutes. Rinse and dry. Toss with olive oil and salt, cook on high heat on a grill pan until tender and dark grill marks, about 5 minutes on each side (depending on variety and thickness). Reserve 20 Small Slices or 6 Large to top the burgers, wrap the rest in tin foil with 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil and 4 Cloves of Garlic. Roast in a 375 oven until garlic is very soft and tender, about 20 minutes. Put the eggplant and garlic in the food processor and blend into a puree. Add salt to taste.
- Cut 2 Sweet Onions into 1/8 inch slices (easiest on a mandolin- even slices for even cooking). Heat 2 Tablespoons of EVOO in a heavy bottom large skillet until shimmering. Cook for about 45 minutes on low-medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft, tender, and sweetly golden brown.
- Place all ingredients in food processor, pulse until combined and still a bit chunky, scraping sides of bowl as you go.
- Divide into 6 balls. Shape into patties. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and refrigerate for about 20 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Cook burgers until golden brown on each side, about 5-7 minutes on each side.
- Spread the bottom bun with eggplant puree, then add the burger, then caramelized onions, then grilled eggplant, then cabbage. Spread the top bun with Vegenaise (optional). Slice in half and serve!
cooking for luv http://cookingforluv.com/