19 Oct Farro Salad with Pumpkin Seeds and Pumpkin Vinaigrette
October holds a special place in my heart. It’s a month of changing leaves, costumes (my favorite!), and all things pumpkin (ok, and it just happens to be my birthday month too!). With pumpkin on my mind, I created this easy little healthy pumpkin infused salad to honor the great October (it would also be a great Thanksgiving dish!). If you’re feeling ambitious, take it a step further and dice up a fresh pie pumpkin, roast in the oven at 425 for about 20 minutes (until golden) with a little oil an salt, and toss the little croutons in for a pumpkin trifecta!
- 2 cups pearled or semi-pearled farro, cooked to package instructions
- 1/2 bunch of curly purple or green kale (about 6 stems)
- Leaves from 6 sprigs of thyme
- ¾ cup toasted salted pumpkin seeds (sometimes called pepitas)
- ¼ cup dried cherries
- ¼ cup crumbled fresh goat cheese (optional)
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil (or ¼ cup pumpkin seed oil + ½ cup olive oil if you can find)
- 4 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Combine vinaigrette ingredients in a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Destem kale and chop into small bite size pieces. Add to the dressing and massage for a minute to tenderize kale.
- Add farro, cherries, and thyme to the dressing/kale mix (save a little extra of everything for garnish). Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper to taste. Plate and top with goat cheese (if using).