13 Jul Cauliflower Popcorn
I’ve been working with a new family that is partially populated by three vegetable-hating kids. Over the course of the past couple of months, I have stealthy slipped broccoli, spinach, eggplant, mushrooms, kale, peas, zucchini, and carrots successfully into their meals- but this cauliflower recipe is by far the winner in my book since they will actually devour a vegetable in it’s un-hidden form. By breaking the cauliflower florets into tiny popcorn-sized pieces, tossing it with butter and parmesan cheese (or vegan butter and nutritional yeast for their vegan dad), and calling it by a fun approachable name, they get excited about something that would otherwise be pretty scary! You’ll want to take them out of the oven before they get too caramelized or brown (the color and depth of flavor can be a little too much for little palates) but if you’re making these for adults keep them in an extra 5 minutes for that extra golden goodness. I use “cheddar cauliflower” which is just a variety of cauliflower that is orange in color- but you can use the regular white variety with the same results.
- 1 head of cauliflower, florets only and broken into small popcorn size pieces (yields about 5 cups of florets)
- 2 tablespoons olive or grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher sea salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons-1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (depending on how cheesy you like it!)
- Sea salt to finish
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Toss cauliflower with olive oil and salt, spread out in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Roast for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, toss with butter and parmesan cheese, season with salt, and serve hot!
- Make sure your cauliflower is patted very dry after you wash it, and spread it out with a lot of room on your baking sheet so they roast instead of steam.
- Customize your seasonings just as you would gourmet popcorn!
- Vegans: replace the butter with Earth Balance and parm with nutritional yeast or vegan parm