23 Dec Carrot Lentil Patties with Feta Greek Yogurt Sauce
Carrot Lentil Patties with Feta Greek Yogurt Sauce
My take on a more nutritous (but equally as delicious) falafel, these carrot lentil patties are great as an appetizer or main course. Bonus: you can make them ahead and refrigerate overnight until right before you're ready to serve, perfect for entertaining or a quick weeknight meal. Enjoy!
- 1 Cup Beluga/Black Lentils, Cooked (yields about 3 cups)
- 4 Cups Shredded Carrots (about 5 large)
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 1 Cup Onions, Caramelized
- 2 Cloves Garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 Cup Packed Fresh Parsley, Whole Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Egg
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Breadcrumbs
- ½ Cup of Flour
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
Feta Greek Yogurt Sauce
- 1 Cup Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 Cup Crumbled Feta
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- Zest from one lemon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 1/2 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
- Set aside ½ Cup Lentils and ½ Cup Carrots. Add first 7 ingredients to food processor and pulse until combined. You should still see whole lentils and carrot slices with a semi sticky paste running through.
- Transfer to a bowl, stir in remaining lentils and carrots.
- Mix in egg and breadcrumbs.
- Form into 1.5” patties and dredge in flour, placing on a lined sheet tray as you go. You can refrigerate at this point for up to 1 day, tightly covered, until ready to cook.
- Heat oil in nonstick skillet on medium high heat and cook lentils until crispy and golden brown and you can’t see the white of the flour anymore, about 3-5 minutes. Gently flip and cook other side.
- Pulse in food processor until combined
Putting it all together
- Plate. top with a tablespoon of sauce, and garnish with a parsley leaf.
- To make a heartier preparation, throw it in a pita pocket with a handful of wild arugula!
- Make it Vegan and Gluten Free by leaving out the breadcrumbs, flour, and egg- they'll be a little looser but still delicious!
cooking for luv http://cookingforluv.com/