02 Feb Carolina Panthers Super Cam Jam with Fried Pickles
The last in my series with Fox Sports for their Superbowl campaign, this one is made for the man with the million dollar smile- Panther’s superstar quarterback Cam Newton, aka Super Cam. Spicy and sweet hot pepper jelly (inspired by a real Carolina grandma, Lauris H. Connolly) is perfectly paired with my favorite crowd-pleaser: fried pickles (don’t be scared- they are always the first to go at any party I bring them to!).
This recipe makes 3 jars of jam, so you can share one with your crowd and hoard the rest to use on toast, over cream cheese as a dip, in sandwiches, or pretty much on anything!
- Makes three 8-ounce jars
- 1 red jalapeno, finely chopped (about 3 tablespoons) leave the seeds for heat
- 1/2 habanero, finely chopped (optional for extra heat)
- 1 large red bell pepper, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 cups organic granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 bottle or 1 packet of Certo fruit pectin
- Three 8-ounce mason jars
- 2 Jars of Claussen Garlic Dill Sandwich Slices, drained
- 1 Box of Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 Cup Flour
- 3-4 Eggs
- Canola Oil for frying
- Kosher sea Salt
- Boil jars to sterilize (or run through the dishwasher and pull out hot)
- Add all ingredients, except the certo, to a large pot and bring to rolling boil over high heat. Boil hard for 1 minute, taking care not to boil over. Remove from heat and stir in certo. Let it stand for 5 – 8 minutes.
- Transfer into hot jars, leaving ¼ headspace. Wipe rim and center lid on jar. Screw band on until tight. Let cool completely to set. You’ll only need one jar for your pickles- use the rest for good not evil.
- Make your breading station. One plate or tin of each: breadcrumbs, flour, eggs. Use only half of each ingredient at first, since you’ll inevitably get some goop in them as you go and then you can do a fresh batch when that happens.
- Dip your pickles in flour, then eggs (coat really well and let the extra egg drip off), then breadcrumbs. Press breadcrumbs on well. Set aside and repeat until all of your pickles are done.
- Preheat a deep fryer to 350 degrees. Gently drop in your pickles in a single layer, not crowding or touching. Remove when they get golden brown, about 1 minute. Place on a paper towel to drain and sprinkle with salt.
- Serve hot or at room temperature (both fantastic, but do not refrigerate or wrap up or they will get soggy) and dab in room temperature Super Cam Jam.
- Jam recipe inspired by a real Carolina grandma, Lauris H. Connolly